Funeral procession in Lebanon of a senior Hezbollah commander killed in Syria
Today's Top Stories
- Rebel fighters killed at least 60 army soldiers and 20 Hezbollah militiamen in Homs.
- Rebel fighters seized control of new areas along the border with Turkey.
- Clashes between pro and anti-Assad Alawite militias spread into Damascus resulting in the death of 10 Shabiha militiamen.
Today's Top Videos
- Houleh, Homs: Regime forces commit a massacre as they bombarded the town with heavy artillery and military tanks, P2, P3
- Homs: The city under unprecedented shelling by regime forces, P2
- Kafarbatna, Damascus Suburb: MIG fighter jets bombard the town, leaving a number of civilians dead and many more wounded, P2, P3
- Sheikh Maqsoud, Aleppo: A child shot dead by regime sniper as he was trying to flee the clashes
- Death Toll: 110 including 4 women and 3 children (Damascus and Suburbs: 32, Homs: 24, Aleppo: 22, Latakia: 10, Idlib: 10, Daraa: 7, Hama: 2, Deir Azzour: 2, Raqa: 1)
- Free Syrian Army key operations:
- Killed at least 100 army soldiers throughout the country.
- Killed at least 20 Hezbollah militiamen in the Homs suburb of Qosayr.
- Killed Colonel Ali Khazam, Maher Assad’s assistant in the Republican Guard corps.
- Detained Bashar’s cousin, Husam al-Assad
- Destroyed 7 military tanks and 4 troop carriers in the Daraa suburb of Karak Sharqi.
- Seized control of the village of Bedama in the suburb of Latakia and the village of Khirbet al-Joz in the suburb of Idlib near the Turkish border.
- Seized control of the State Security branch in Ma’dan district of Raqa province.
Summary of Events
Heavy fighting was reported throughout the country whereby the rebels managed to inflict heavy losses on regime forces and seize control of new areas near the Turkish border.
The heaviest clashes and shelling were reported in the province of Homs as regime forces supported by hundreds of Hezbollah militiamen launched the largest military offensive in a bid to recapture the rebels’ strongholds. Regime forces used all kind of heavy weaponry including fighter jets in shelling the neighborhoods of Old Homs, Khaldiya, Jouret Sheyah and Qosour as well as the provincial towns of Houelh, Qosayr, Rastan and Talkalakh, resulting in the death of more than 24 civilians and rebel fighters including 12 in the town of Houleh.
Activists confirmed that about 25 busses carrying hundreds of Hezbollah militiamen entered Homs in order to support the Assad’s forces. However, rebel fighters managed to repel their ground assault after killing 60 army soldiers in the city of Homs and at least 20 Hezbollah militiamen as they were trying to enter the town of Qosayr.
In a related development, at least 40 army soldiers were killed as rebel fighters stormed the village of Khirbet al-Jouz in the Jesser Shoghour district of Idlib province. Meanwhile, a spokesperson of the rebel Free Syrian Army said that regime forces withdrew from the Jabal Akrad district of Latakia province after receiving several attacks by rebel fighters who seized control of the village of Bedama near the Turkish border and arrested at least 75 militiamen.
Clashes between pro and anti-Assad Alawite militias have spread into Damascus as anti-Assad Alawite militia bombed a bus carrying pro-Assad Shabiha militiamen resulting in the death of at least 10 of them.
Regime forces executed dozens of civilians across the suburbs of Damascus, at least ten of them fell in the town of Douma. This came as the regime heavy artillery and fighter jets resumed their fierce shelling of the suburbs of Damascus, mainly targeting the Eastern Ghouta district, leaving many civilians dead and dozens more wounded.
Scores of civilians died and many more were injured while dozens of houses were destroyed, thus prompting a mass exodus as regime forces resumed their attacks on several areas in the provinces of Aleppo, Deir Azzour, Daraa, Hama, Idlib, Raqa, and Qunaitera.
Syrians killed: 36,827
Children killed: 2,604
Females killed: 2,844
Soldiers killed: 3,195
Protestors killed under torture: 1057
Protestors currently incarcerated:+216,000
Syrian refugees since March: +328,333
Refugees in Turkey: +93,576
Refugees in Lebanon: +87,140
Refugees in Jordan: +104,322
Refugees in Iraq: +43,295
Selected Media Coverage
Asharq Alawsat: Yes, the al-Assad regime is afraid!
Asharq Alawsat: Will Nasrallah pay the price for al-Assad?
Business Recorder: Rising Syria-Turkey tensions
Huffington Post: Turkey, Syria and the Geopolitics of Identity
New Yorker: Crying for Aleppo
October 13: Villejuif, France
Demonstration in solidarity with the Syrian revolution
October 13: Global
The Global Solidarity Day for the Syrian People
Old City, Homs: Rebel fighters shoot down a helicopter gunship
Latakia Suburb: Rebel fighters seize control of the village of Bedama
Ma’dan, Raqa: Rebel fighters storm the state security branch
Ruken Adin: Protesters demand the overthrow of the Assad regime
Qadam: Two unidentified civilians murdered by regime forces
Tadamon: The regime detonates the residential buildings
Asaly: Lifeless body of fallen hero Hsana Masri
Zabadani: Sounds of heavy shelling echo in the town
Mesraba: MIG fight jets bombard the district
Eastern Ghouta: MIG fight jets bombard the district
Harasta: The devastating aftermath of the fierce and indiscriminate shelling
Sakhour: Lifeless body of fallen hero Mahmoud Wesi, killed by a sniper
Ithaa: Lifeless body of rebel fighter Ali Khalaf
Sakhour: The devastating aftermath of the fierce and indiscriminate shelling
Saif Adola: A residential building ablaze due to the fierce and indiscriminate shelling
Saladin: The devastating aftermath of the fierce and indiscriminate shelling
Urum Kobra: Lifeless body of fallen hero Anas Ibrahim
Atareb: Regime forces bombard the town using barrel bombs
Rastan: Rockets hit residential buildings
Teirma’ala: Lifeless body of fallen hero Salim Tilawi
Khaldiya: Regime forces bombard the neighbourhood
Hamidiya: Regime forces bombard the neighbourhood
Ma’arbeh: Regime forces bombard the town with heavy artillery and mortar shells
Naima: Regime heavy artillery bombards the town
Tariq al-Sad: Regime forces steal private properties
Karak Sharqi: Regime forces bombard the town
Mashaa Arbaeen: The neighbourhood completely destroyed due to the fierce shelling and the detonation of residential buildings
Kafarzeita: The devastating aftermath of the fierce shelling
Hama Suburb: Life of children at risk due to the shortage of medical care
Bennesh: Military transport aircraft heads towards the military airport
Ariha: Clouds of smoke billow from the town following the fierce shelling
Kansafra: Protesters denounce the regime’s crimes
Bennesh: Funeral procession of fallen hero Sami Saoud
Sarmin: The devastating aftermath of the fierce shelling
Kanama: Rebel fighter help rescuing a civilian who was shot by a sniper
Central City: A civilian severely injured due to the indiscriminate shelling
Central City: Helicopter gunship bombards the city
Mowathafin: The devastating aftermath of the fierce shelling by fighter jets
Mohasan: MIG fighter jets bombard the town leaving scores of civilians injured
South Africa: Mass protest in solidarity with the people of Syria an Palestine